Specialist areas allow students to experience the depth and breadth of the curriculum and connect learning in practical contexts. We have specialist teachers in Science, Music and Performing Arts, Materials Technology and Food Technology. Students will work in each specialist area three times a fortnight, for 32 weeks per year while they are at our school. Each of these areas also provides opportunities to be involved in activities such as electronics, robotics, orchestra, gardening and hydroponics. Besides the opportunity to learn many new and exciting skills, the specialist programme also allows students to:
- Develop practical skills
- Connect concepts from other learning areas e.g mathematics
- Work with specialised equipment
- Learn from a different set of teachers
- Experience moving to a different classroom and forming a working relationship with someone new
- Be organised
- Discover a new passion or field of interest
Students also access a varied visual art programme in our well-equipped art room.
Students love the practical ‘hands on’ nature of the specialist programmes. They also have the opportunity to participate in areas of the curriculum they haven’t experienced before.
This helps them make informed, exciting decisions about which direction they may want to take at secondary school and later in life.